Monday, March 16, 2009

ice ice baby

First, it was bubble tea. Followed by Rotiboy then donuts in all sorts of unimaginable flavours. It's interesting how these food trends come and go. Just like fashion.

I first chanced upon Rotiboy many years back when I used to frequent City Square, Johor Bahru to meet a client. It was love at first bite. I was overjoyed when it came to Singapore. It became so popular that lead to the openings of Rotipapa and other imitations. The trend, however, died after some time. The businessman had made enough money and decided to wind up.

How can they just vanish into thin air completely? There are people like me who still love Rotiboy.

If you notice, there has been a rising number of Taiwan and Hong Kong style dessert houses lately. Perhaps they won't die off like other food trends because
of our tropical weather?

Recently, P, who has sweet tooth, brought me to for desserts after dinner. I frequent Junction 8 but was not even aware of its existence. Mei Heong Yuen 味香园 is located at the basement level where all the snack stalls are. I'm not sure about other desserts because I'm not a big fan of such, but the Mango Ice was commendable.


Photobucket

The flavoured and finely shaved ice was
drizzled with mango syrup and topped with fresh mango cubes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Absolutely refreshing.

By the way, my nephew and niece love the Mango Snow Ice ice-cream at Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe. It's gigantic. So don't attempt to finish it by yourself.

Photobucket

They also enjoy the milk flavoured shaved ice at Ice Monster.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I shall blog about other non-icy Hong Kong desserts in my next post.

For now, let's chill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wa.... looks really nice leh. those ice seems so fine...