Saturday, November 1, 2008

savoury fried kway teow

I'm those who'll pick fried hokkien mee over fried kway teow. Simply because fried kway teow is sweet for my liking. The only fried kway teow stall I patronise is the one at Army Market. No pork, no lard and served with a healthy portion of vegie. That's however not the main reason for I'm not a health conscious person. It's the special touch of crispy and savoury fried ikan billis toppings that somehow neutralised the sweetness a little. But no, this isn't the savoury fried kway teow I'm going to introduce today. The first time I tried the authentic Penang Fried Kway Teow was in Penang itself. It was savoury! I fell in love with it instantly and tried the same dish from different stalls for every meal. And they were all just as tasty. My friend W, who is from Penang, was amazed by liking for Penang Fried Kway Teow and my huge appetite. :P So, she was quick to introduce me to Jason Penang Cuisine when she discovered the stall at ABC Brickwork Market. This was the closest thing to the one from Penang. The kway teow (flat rice noodles) was the skinny type, unlike some places that used the thicker version instead. Served with a generous serving of clams and fresh prawns, it was spicy and yes, savoury. The bean sprouts cut down the oiliness and they wasn't too cooked or soggy.

Photobucket

W just asked me to a Penang buffet in the West which she heard is pretty good. I don't fancy Asam Laksa or Chendol and wonder how much worth of Penang Fried Kway Teow can I gobble up. :P Oh, I do like Penang Hokkien Prawn Mee too. Exactly how unhealthy (and gluttonous) can I get? :P

No comments: