Friday, October 31, 2008

shark attack

My memory of a fulfilling bowl of Lor Mee is from Amoy Market I had when I was working during vacation more than 10 years ago. Interestingly, I found out that the Lor Mee stall's owners happened to be my ex-colleague's parents 10 years later. Anyway, her mum has rented out the stall (still selling the good old Lor Mee) ever since her dad passed away. :(

Anyway, I only discovered how satisfying this bowl of Shark Meat Lor Mee ($3.00) from Tiong Bahru Market was lately.

Photobucket

Be prepared to queue unless you plan to go during off-peak hours. The portion of noodles was really small but the shark meat was pretty generous. This is one rare occasion when I finished up the noodles before the ingredients. The shark meat was deep-fried to perfection, not too oily or dry. The extra bits and pieces of deep-fried crisps added more bite to the gooey noodles covered with thick and tasty gravy. Other ingredients include slices of fishcake, pork belly and bean sprouts. Importantly, add lots of garlic, chillies and vinegar for extra kick! Attack!

I used to work with a client marketing shark fin during my advertising days. He educated me that they, as responsible fishing partners, do not condone indiscriminate fishing practices by disposing the sharks back to the sea cruelly after removing their fins. But, they actively advocate purchasing the whole carcass of the shark for its bones and meat.

It makes me wonder if consuming shark's meat is as cruel as eating its fins. Nevertheless, I enjoyed both. :P Well, you can opt for the regular Lor Mee at $2.00 if you're a conservationist. ;)

No comments: