Saturday, January 3, 2009

delicious dim sum

It just so happened that K had to go down to Sunshine Plaza(somewhere we don't frequent) in the morning to deliver his work, we ended up at Victor's Kitchen for brunch. While he was away, I had a good one hour deciding what I wanted to eat. It was between the Fried Wanton Mee and Dim Sum. Since there are so many Parklane Fried Wanton Mee around Singapore, both of us agreed on Victor's. I always love having dim sum for breakfast. Nothing beats a fulfilling breakfast to kick-start your day.

The "restaurant" is pretty small with maybe seating for less than 25. Getting a seat for two is however not a problem at that hour when most people have started work.


The must-order dish is prawn dumplings
(har kau). And Victor's king prawn har kau is filled with royal goodness.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The steamed carrot cake didn't look as appetizing as the those fried ones I love, was served with this interesting mixture of chilli, fried shallot, dried shrimp and oil.


Photobucket

K thinks the char siew pau was good but the ones from 找到食 at Geylang are still the best.

Photobucket

This is something with quail's egg. Can't remember the exact name but yes, they are something nice and different from the regular siew mai I don't quite fancy.

Photobucket

Being hungry and greedy, we also ordered porridge and prawn chee cheong fan. The skin was not too thick and the prawns were fresh. It was a tad oily but chee cheong fan is most of the time.

Photobucket

Only after I told M about my hearty breakfast that I realized Chubby Hubby has highly recommended Victor's Kitchen.

"Victor Leung and his wife moved here from Hong Kong only last year. And they moved for one of the best reasons I can imagine—so that their kids can take advantage of Singapore’s public education system, which is one of the best if not the best in the region. I really admire this incredibly friendly couple. They picked up, moved here and have started from scratch for the sake of their kids. Victor has 20 years experience as a dim sum chef, and has worked in several countries. His last job, before coming here, was in the dim sum kitchen at the New World Hotel in Kowloon. If you’re a dim sum fan, you must, must, must check out this tiny, inexpensive and simply fantastic find. Even if you’re not, I urge you to visit, for no other reason than to support Victor and his wife." - Chubby Hubby


Victor's Kitchen

91 Bencoolen St
Sunshine Plaza #01-21
Opens Tues-Sun, 10am to 9pm

9838 2851 (He also does catering)

3 comments:

YongCL said...

My previous office in SCB was at Plaza by the park which is round the corner, both the Parklane Fried Wanton mee and the dim Sum are just so so.. nothing to shout about... in my humble opinion...especially the fried wanton noodle from parklane.. its ... :(
Try Zi Yean Restaurant at Blk 56 Lengkok Bahru, #01-443.
Value for money for Dim sum as well as Zhi Char..
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/restaurant_details.php?urlname=zi_yean_restaurant&offset=5

cyanwater said...

Thanks for the recommendation! :)

catzfishz said...

I went to try out this dim sum place with my frens and totally agree that it's worthy of praises! I had the "phoenix claws", "spare ribs" and "chicken with wine". They tasted nice but I thought the spare ribs didn't have much meat on them and slightly tough. The carrot cake was rather special but I still preferred the fried ones... my fren commented that the texture was nice snd soft.

On the whole, a good place for dim sum. love it!