Tuesday, December 2, 2008

boneless goodness

Hainanese chicken rice is like a national dish. It's impossible to go to a hawker centre and not find a chicken rice stall. And I don't think I need to introduce much and many of you are already very familiar with Boon Tong Kee, Wee Nam Kee, Chatterbox, Chicken House, Yet Con, Five Stars, Tian Tian, Sing Ho Hai Nan, Pow Sing, Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice, just to name those that come to my mind.

What's important to me in this dish is not just how smooth the chicken is but also how good the garlic chilli is. Whether it's boneless or not may not be a concern but certainly a plus point.
I've not been patronising Far East Plaza since my poly days. Lately, I've been revisiting this mall quite frequently(for more profitable reason this time) and finally tried Hainanese Delicacy on the top floor(#05-116). They close pretty early, usually by 8pm. The chicken is tender and not too oily, the rice is fragrant and not too soft. Paired with the chilli sauce and pounded ginger, the chicken rice is not the best but definitely the tastiest hawker food on the fifth level.

Photobucket


Since I'm on the topic about hainanese chicken rice, I may as well blog about
Yet Con which I've just dined there a couple of nights ago(It was my fourth visit by the way.) It's a cosy old-fashioned but air-conditioned restaurant known for their hainanese chicken rice and steamboat along Purvis Street.

Photobucket

The uncles and aunties are hainanese and not very friendly. Service is obviously not their strength. :P

Photobucket

Presentation is definitely not the selling point too as you can see from the picture below. The chicken was not as oily compared to those drizzled with sesame and soya sauce. But I actually prefer the oily version as they are more fragrant and less "chickeny". Still, they are pretty tender and not as dry as they looked. The rice was fluffy and a tad mushy but not too oily.

Photobucket

What was more disappointing is the chilli-lime sauce. It was very mild and definitely not enough zing for me even when I added lots of ginger to go with it.

Photobucket


Other than chicken rice, the other dishes tasted like home-cooked food. Nothing exciting or fanciful. So if food is also not that draw, why do I still go back to Yet Con again and again? Price? No, it usually rounds up to at least $10 per pax. Subconsciously, I guess I'm drawn to the nostalgic ambience and authentic feel of the restaurant. And also largely because of the air-condition! Haha! I'd have gone to Chin Chin Eatitng House just across the road
that night for their chicken rice if not for the stuffy weather. I think the next time I do visit Yet Con again, it's to try the steamboat.

My favourite hainanese chicken rice to date is still
Wee Nam Kee.

No comments: