Wednesday, July 16, 2008

spice up your life

The must-order dish when I step into a Thai restuarant got to be Tom Yam Soup. In fact, that's the first thing most will name when Thai food is mentioned.

The best Tom Yam Soup I've tried so far is from Renn Thai in Ngee Ann City many many years back. It was the authentic clear soup base kind unlike those super oily and cloudy Tom Yam Soup you get from food court. The food was pretty pricey according to my paycheck back then, so I didn't go back again. And along the way, I discovered Simply Thai. The Tom Yam Soup was just as good, although with lesser ingredients, was much more affordable. After a few good years, Simply Thai disappeared! But I found Thai Express along with some super nice ex-colleagues. :) The sliced fish tom yam soup with vermicelli is so spicy and good you'll be lost for words.

And now when I've time, I make my own. Here's a Tom Yam Goong recipe I got from a cookbook of popular Thai dishes. Tried and tested. You will be surprised how easily you can spice up your life.

Looks can be deceiving for this harmless looking soup will burn your tongue! :P

Photobucket

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
450g king prawns
1 litre chicken stock
3 lemon grass stalks
10 lime leaves, torn in half
225g can straw mushrooms, drained
3 tbsp fish sauce
50ml lime juice
chopped spring onions and coriander leaves
red chillies, chopped

Steps:
Shell and devein the prawns
Rinse the prawn shells
, place them in large saucepan with stock and bring to boil. I added an additional cup of water and a few prawn heads. Too many will make the soup taste fishy.

Bruise the lemon grass stalks with knife and add them to the stock together with the lime leaves. Simmer gently for 5 minutes or until stalks change colour and is fragrant.

Strain the stock, return to saucepan and reheat. Add mushrooms and prawns. Cook for a few minutes or until prawns turn pink.

Stir in fish sauce, lime juice, spring onions, coriander and chillies. Taste and adjust the flavours if you prefer it spicier, saltier or more sourish.

No comments: